Sunday 15 June 2008

Dennis Wilson - River Song

Oh good golly gosh, I say in my very English way. I was really blown away by this track when I first heard it. I was having a spree of listening to Brian Wilson's 2004 version of SMiLE and out of a simple curiosity about the other members of the Beach Boys just happened to wander onto Dennis Wilson's Wikipedia entry. Curiosity led me to actually check out his only album, Pacific Ocean Blue (1977). When I pressed play - I must be honest - I thought it had all gone a bit Elton John (groan) but then in came the choir and OH MY GOD. It's lush in the original sense of the word. Proper lush! There's even a "Great Gig In The Sky" woman! And you can see that SMiLE and Pacific Ocean Blue have a common origin but the two brothers have taken two different directions. You can really hear the soul in Dennis.

Pacific Ocean Blue is being re-released by Legacy on the 17th, having been out of print for almost 20 years, and it really is well worth a buy.

Dennis Wilson - River Song



----------------
Now playing: Dennis Wilson - Farewell My Friend

No comments: