Wednesday 23 April 2008

Hiromi - 010101 (Binary System)

G shows a marked lack of committment to "A Cloud Of Starlings", which is, after all, his own project. I suggest he reassess whether he can be bothered."
That imaginary teacher in my head has finally got to me and I am going to pull my motherfucking socks up even though the elastic went about 7 years ago and they really ought to be thrown out. Today, some weirdo jazz (my genre name, not theirs, as you might have guessed) from a lovely Japanese girl called Hiromi. I saw her at the Brecon Jazz Festival a few years back and she was by far and away the most exciting jazz act I have ever seen. She's an amazing pianist and chock full of ideas, attractive melodies and interesting harmonies. I suspect the title of this song has inspired the structure (or visa versa), though I doubt saying that does it justice. Any case, it's a fucking good listen. This track is off her 2003 debut Another Mind.

Hiromi - 010101 (Binary System)

She's released roughly an album a year so I imagine there'll be one at some point in 2008. Enough speculation: she definitely does have three nights at Ronnie Scotts in May.

While we're at it, can I just say that I really hope that Barack Obama overcomes Hilary "I'll say anything for a vote" Clinton. She makes me vom.

No comments: