Tuesday 24 June 2008

Tim Williams - Novel

Sky's now clear, do you like what you see? I do!
Living in your garbage, throwing in your dreams
We know that if you live your life all that way
You're stuck in the novel that no-one will let you leave
Tim Williams - Novel

Sometimes it's best not to say too much, other than that I like it muchly.

HOWEVER.

There is something I want to talk about, and that is what everyone else is talking about... COLDPLAY. I really really like their song 'Vida La Vida'. I can't get enough of it. I hear it on the radio and there's goosebumps. The orchestra accompaniment is just phenomenal - I think it's the best bit of orchestral writing I've ever heard in a pop song. But I've listened through the album a couple of times now and I don't think there's anything else there that comes close, musically or lyrically. There are a few good-enough songs, but nothing anywhere near comparable. Worst are tracks like 'Lost?' The music is ok but the lyrics are absolutely awful. The first half has a series of typical Coldplay "clever" lyrics:
Just because I'm losing
Doesn't mean I'm lost
Doesn't mean I'll stop
Doesn't mean I will cross

Just because I'm hurting
Doesn't mean I'm hurt
Doesn't mean I didn't get what I deserve
No better and no worse

I just got lost
Every river that I've tried to cross
Every door I ever tried was locked
Ooh-Oh, And I'm just waiting till the shine wears off...
My personal favourite is the clunker "Just because I'm hurting doesn't mean I'm hurt". Well, I'm sorry but I really think it does.

And then we get this little beauty:
You might be a big fish
In a little pond
Doesn't mean you've won
'Cause along may come
A bigger one
And you'll be lost
Now, I'm sorry Mr Martin, but everybody knows how the big fish in the little pond thing works. We were taught in primary school for fuck's sake. If you really must use it, at least add to it, don't just paraphrase it. It's just lazy.

This is a criticism I'd extend to pretty much every Coldplay album. The music is frequently beautiful, especially on Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head. The lyrics can sometimes be pretty good (I really like the lyrics of 'Vida La Vida', by the by) but sometimes they are just blah, and blah for 50 minutes can make even the most beautiful music dull after about 5 listens. They rarely - if ever - make you think; rather they're just cut and paste cliches and grand but vague statements that anyone can listen to and think "yeah, that expresses what I feel". Don't get me wrong here, I'm not some ridiculous idiot who thinks that there's something inherently wrong with that, I just know that it's not for me, and that I don't think much of the people who think that the "big fish small pond" analogies are particularly profound. They sound profound because they're accompanied by beautiful music but if you took the music away and read them out in a room full of people, you'd rapidly get slow handclaps and people leaving. Compare most of the lyrics of Coldplay with some of Radiohead's best (Radiohead are so often cited as an influence on Coldplay) and I think you'll see what I mean. Thom Yorke writes far better analogies and can also construct a narrative, which is something I've not found in a Coldplay track. I'm not saying Thom Yorke writes the best lyrics in the world, just that Chris Martin ought to pay more attention to their lyrics, having already developed a wonderful sound.

Radiohead - Subterrannean Homesick Alien
The breath of the morning
I keep forgetting
The smell of the warm summer air

I live in a town
Where you can't smell a thing
You watch your feet
For cracks in the pavement

Up above
Aliens hover
Making home movies
For the folks back home

Of all these weird creatures
Who lock up their spirits
Drill holes in themselves
And live for their secrets

They're all uptight
Uptight.. (x7)

I wish that they'd swoop down in a country lane
Late at night when I'm driving
Take me on board their beautiful ship
Show me the world as I'd love to see it

I'd tell all my friends
But they'd never believe
They'd think that I'd finally lost it completely

I'd show them the stars
And the meaning of life
They'd shut me away
But I'd be all right
All right..

I'm just uptight
Uptight.. (x7)

No comments: