Wednesday 9 July 2008

Laura Viers - Spelunking

Of all the presents I got from my ex, this is perhaps my favourite. It's a track from Laura Viers' 2005 album, Year of Meteors. The second verse is one of the most special things I have ever come across.

If I took you darling
To the caverns of my heart
Would you light the lamp dear?
Would you light the lamp dear?
And see fish without eyes
Bats with their heads
Hanging down towards the ground
Would you still come around
Come around?
And as he lights the lamp, a subdued and echoey electric guitar enters, spilling light all around.

Laura Viers is touring the UK this month, starting in Winchester tonight! Well, I say the UK, she's basically touring England. I know that's synonymous to a lot of people who aren't from the UK but, please, bands of the world, remember that Wales and Scotland and Northern Ireland also exist and would welcome you with open arms and probably legs, if I'm honest.

Laura Viers - Spelunking

No comments: